Sunday, August 23, 2009

Staples??

So this post is about Athena, my college student. (where did the time go?) Several weeks ago, I said to her, "Athena, Grandma Secrest wants to get you some staples to take to college." Take a minute and think what this statement means to you....... Athena had a strange look on her face and said "staples? Why would grandma want to by me staples?" I then described that staples were necessary items to fill a food pantry with, you know, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, etc. She had thought that grandma wanted to get her staples for a stapler! Wierd? Or maybe take her to the store Staples. I wanted to see if this was just an Athena thing or if it was generational. So I asked her friend Shea. Shea had a blank look instead of a confused look, but didn't know the phrase either. Athena explained the concept and he said "oh". It is a silly thing, but this account has been fun to share. I truly believe that it is the small things that bring us joy. "staples?"

3 comments:

Knutson Family said...

I can't believe Athena is in college. People (and kids especially) seem to have frozen in my mind wherever they were when I left home nine years ago. So Athena would be something like eight years old in my mind... And now she's in COLLEGE???

Katrina said...

I was also wondering why mom wanted to buy Athena staples - I guess that phrase is only used with REALLY OLD people!!
And now you're even older - happy birthday yesterday!!!

lame said...

HAHAHA, the kids are just lost, I'm not that much older than they are and I would have gotten it, first time, even at their age...The real problem is that my sweet kids are BLONDE!!!!! But I love them both very much!