Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Derek took 5th!

I can't help but be proud. I know it is silly and probably vain, too--but I love it when my kids excell! This is Derek's first year at cross country (xc). He is a junior and decided to run to get in shape for soccer. Yes, this is also the reason that Derek plays basketball: to get in shape for soccer. Is there a theme here? My son is always getting in shape for soccer. (Yes, we do eat, sleep, drink, and think soccer year round at the Hawks home!) So, cross country isn't a sport that he has taken very seriously. Yes, he works hard during practice, but it is not his passion. Today was region and he took 5th overall. He placed 1st for the team. The boy's team was able to qualify for state. (we took 2nd at region, whew!) Derek paced himself during the race and SPRINTED for the finish line. I must admit, my eyes got a little sweaty! I love it when he digs down deep and finishes strong. It makes my heart leap! I am struggling with the pictures, so I will try again later when I am not tempted to use a baseball bat on this computer. ;)

3 comments:

Knutson Family said...

Good Job Derek! I ran cross country only my senior year. It was not my passion either... and I never even came close to fifth place. Way to go!

Lindsay said...

Yay for Derek!! I love x-country!! Wynette, thank you so much for the birthday wishes, what you wrote really touched my heart. Your family is such a great example to me, thanks for being my friend.
My new blog address is adventuringwithlindsay.blogspot
Come check out all the fun I have been having in China.

Katrina said...

Derek is awesome!! And even to take 10th at state is awesome!! You have such a great family - because their Ma and Pa are so amazing too!!